The West Enders

Write, illustrate, edit and publish The West Enders, a nationally distributed literary magazine created by student-artists at West End Alternative Secondary School in Toronto. Call 416-393-0660 or email lee.sheppard@tdsb.on.ca to find out more.

Thursday 15 November 2012

The Break-Up



Cecilia Evoy
Title Illustration by Jahan and Sultan
Illustration by Kim K.and Kardelen


Ext. Dog park. Afternoon. Fall.


RAMONA and STEPHANIE are sitting on a park bench, watching dogs play. 


Ramona drags on her cigarette, blowing a smoke ring.





RAMONA


I don't think it's working out.




STEPHAINE


(Confused) What's not working out?




RAMONA


Us. I just don't feel it anymore.




STEPHANIE


Are you... breaking up with me?




RAMONA


Yeah, I guess.



Ramona shivers, leaves from the tree fall around the two girls.




STEPHANIE


We aren't dating! How can you break up with me?



RAMONA


Well... you can break up a friendship can't you? I mean if I say I don't want to see you anymore, doesn't that constitute a break-up?




STEPHANIE


Yeah (slowly, confused) I guess.


The girls sit in silence for a while, Stephanie pulls on her hoodie strings, Ramona keeps smoking.




STEPHANIE


But... why?




RAMONA


Well, you're so... whiney.




STEPHANIE


(Angrily) I'm whiney? Me? What about you? You complain all the time!




RAMONA


(Laughs) Me? Okay. My complaints are legitimate.




STEPHANIE


You complained about school yesterday! You went on for, like, an hour about your work!




RAMONA


It wasn't legitimate to complain about getting such a massive number of assignments that I couldn't sleep? You complain every single day about how long your fifteen minute bus ride to work is!




STEPHANIE


(Enraged) So after three years you're dumping me for complaining?




RAMONA


You're also clingy.




STEPHANIE


(Shrilly) Clingy?




RAMONA


And jealous.





STEPHANIE


I am not jealous!




RAMONA


I don't have any female friends that you don't hate. I'd call that jealousy.





The girls sit in silence, Stephanie is glaring at the ground in front of her.


STEPHANIE


Y'know, you aren't the perfect friend, either. You always act so holier-than-thou! You think everyone else is so stupid, and you think you're better than them! You treat me like shit because you think I'm stupid!



Ramona is frowning heavily, drops her cigarette and lights another. Stephanie is angered by the lack of reaction.



STEPHAINE


You're a huge bitch, too. You're always reaming me out and snapping at me. Anytime I talk about something you're bored by, instead of saying you're bored you sit there in silence and make me feel like I'm the biggest idiot ever for talking! So whatever you think is so horrible about being friends with me, it's worse being friends with you!





RAMONA


You’re a fucking bitch! You know what, you deserved to have Aaron cheat on you!




There is a stunned silence. Stephanie gapes at Ramona.




STEPHANIE


Really? Really? We were together for four years! You’re really going to fucking say that to me?




Ramona


(With less conviction) Well, it’s true.



Stephanie


What kind of goddamn person are you? You always do this! You always try and hurt people as much as you can, for no fucking reason!




RAMONA


Yeah, and you make it so goddamn easy! I told you what was going to happen! I called it a year before Aaron cheated! But you never fucking listen to me! I take so much fucking time to give you advice and try and help you sort out your wreck of a life and you never listen!



STEPHANIE


I tried, okay, I tried! I can’t do everything exactly as you want me to, though! That doesn’t work! And I knew, too. I knew something was wrong, which is why I went to you, but I guess that was a bad idea.


RAMONA


(Looks ashamed)I shouldn’t have said that. I just… I just said it, okay? You didn’t deserve that. It’s just… you make me angry sometimes.


STEPHANIE


(Gives a disapproving look to Ramona and throws hands in air) Yeah, well, you spit.





RAMONA


What?




STEPHANIE


Yeah, you spit. On the ground, all the time. It's gross. And I hate the smell of your stupid cigarettes!




RAMONA


You constantly chip the polish off your nails! Do you know how annoying that sound is?




STEPHANIE


You don't cover your mouth when you cough!




RAMONA


You refuse to stop dying your hair stupid colours!




STEPHANIE


You hate the Beatles!




The girls stare at one another, half-grinning. Eventually they turn away from each other. Ramona starts fiddling with her smoke and Stephanie starts picking off her nail polish. She looks at Ramona out of the corner of her eye and stops.



STEPHANIE


Wanna go to Subway?






RAMONA


(Pause) Sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment